I’ve yet to try making traditional brownies. To be honest, the sheer amount of chocolate, sugar and butter that seems to be involved scares me a little. I followed this recipe pretty closely but did make some substitutions:
- I couldn’t find black beans so I used red kidney beans instead
- Not being vegan, and not having flax on hand, I used actual eggs rather than flax eggs
- I measured out the amount of sugar specified (1/2 cup) but only ended up using about 2/3 of it
- The mixture was a bit too dry so I added a few tablespoons of water bit by bit to help with combining all of the ingredients.
- I whacked the batter into a square tin to bake for around 20-25 minutes at 180°C, and then left it to sit in the oven for a little while with the door open.
- The texture of the brownies was quite soft and on the fudgier side due to the lack of flour. I’d describe the taste as rich and dark. You cannot taste the beans but I do attribute the slight creaminess of these brownies to the usage of beans.
- I should have added some walnuts to provide a bit more complexity.